Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tips for Teachers: Flood Your Students with Input

Input Flooding is a great exercise for language classrooms no matter the topic, whether it be grammar, culture, vocabulary, dialogues, pronunciation, etc.  Input flooding involves the teacher/native speaker giving hundreds of examples of the use of a certain word or phrase.

Example:
- The teacher/ native speaker introduces a word such as "in."  Instead of giving a rule for when that word is used, the teacher gives lots and lots of examples of phrases using "in" such as: I am in the room; we are in the room; the birds are in the air; the birds fly in the air; there is something in the water; when we swim, we get in the water; when I put my shoes on, I put my foot in the shoe; when I bake a cake, I put it in the oven; you are writing in your notebook, etc.  

2 comments: