Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Language Development in Children

Check out this chart on language development stages in children.  It has some specifics about the English language, but the majority of the information is true for language development in children around the world.

Especially take note of what the average child has mastered at each stage, as well as what the child has NOT yet mastered.

This tidbit from the chart was the most encouraging to me:

48 months: has MOST vowels well established

That means that it can take a child up to 4 years to master the vowels, and some consonants will take up to 8 years for mastery.  Maybe I need to give myself more than three months before I get frustrated with my inability to pronounce French vowels perfectly.  (See yesterday's post)

No comments:

Post a Comment