Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Perseverance: Fighting Discouragement - Any suggestions?

My husband and I are now almost six months into our French learning experience.  We have learned many things and while seeing how far we have come is quite encouraging, realizing how far we have yet to go can be, on the contrary, extremely discouraging.

I have recently noticed that I am personally fighting a good deal of discouragement in regards to my language learning process.  So, in hopes of strengthening my strategies for perseverance, I will dedicate a handful of posts to reflecting and sharing some of my thoughts on the matter.

Please feel more than welcome to share yours thoughts and/or suggestions as well!  I know I would be greatly encouraged by them.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's always good to realize that language learning is a life-long process--there's always going to be a new level of proficiency to aspire to, so in a sense you shouldn't feel discouraged if you're not at some genius level just because you've been at it for six months. I've been studying Dutch for much, much longer than that and there are still days when I sound like a complete idiot in my own ears. But usually the people around me understand me better than I think they do, so that also encourages me at such times.
    But the most important thing, I think is realizing that the Lord who's given you this opportunity and brought you this far will certainly take you the rest of the way. Plus, He has plans and purposes for your weakness in French. For me, having to use simpler language in Dutch than I'm actually capable of has been a humbling process, which is far more valuable an experience than simply mastering a new language. Humility will serve me much longer than Dutch will. And, I'm always amazed when God uses me, with my less than 100% Dutch, and God gets more glory 'cause I know for sure it wasn't my own strength! So, think of learning French as part of the sanctification process!


    Grace,
    Ibukun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Ibukun! Your comment is so encouraging to me. You are exactly right - humility will serve me much longer than French! Amen! I have been reminded of that statement of yours everyday this week, thank you sister!

    ReplyDelete