Pages

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Reflections: The Hachette Grammar Workbooks

The following is a list of some of my thoughts on using the Hachette Grammar Series:
  • I found that month 6 of intensive language learning was the perfect time for me to start working through this systematic grammar series.  I attempted to start it during month 2 and again during month 4 but I found that there were too many answers that I was completely unsure of(probably about 75% at month 2 and 40% at month 4).
  • At month 6, I was confident of about 90% of the material in the level A1 book even though I was probably at a level B2 in comprehension, and B1 in production at that time.
  • I have preferred using the series as a systematic review rather than a first exposure to the grammar concepts.  At month 6, I had a solid foundation especially in oral comprehension and I was able to consult my memory on how I had heard things said by native speakers in order to choose answers to grammar questions.  This was a much more enjoyable way for me with my particular learning style, whereas someone else may have the patience and preference to learn the grammar concepts from a workbook like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment