Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

The Weight of Worlds

I was skimming through my journal from this past year of language learning in France and came across the following entry, it rings even truer today now that we are putting down roots in yet another "world" here in Africa.

January 2, 2011

"I am feeling the weight of the reality of the two worlds that we live in.  I am getting worn down by the inability to understand everything that is going on around me.  We have strong friendships with people that we can't completely understand and neither can we yet fully express our hearts to them.  Lord, please give us perseverance toward the day when we will be able to express deep truths, loosen our tongues, give us words.  Still, there is no going back.  We will henceforth be members of two worlds that don't perfectly mix.  We live dollars and euros, European phone numbers and US phone numbers, French and English, French humor and American humor, church here and church there, family and friends scattered."
I am reminded today that all of these "worlds" in which we participate will one day be perfectly combined when they are perfectly centered on Christ.  I am so excited for that day!

"After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice,  'Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!'"  
Revelation 7:9

2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to this! It completely resonates with me. Wrote a creative essay about it once...I think the main thing for me about this living in two or three worlds is that it makes you realize more deeply (and sometimes, painfully) that this isn't home...and was never supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete